No matter where you are travelling overseas you are sure to travel on either a airplane or cruise liner to get there. Most people fly because it is quicker and allows them more time for their holiday. However, there are essentials to remember for the trip that can make life very inconvenient if they are forgotten. Make a list and check it off as you pack or do what’s on it.
Here is a list of 14 travel essential to remember for your journey.
- First aid. It is horrible to get sick when you are in a strange place and don’t know where to get medication or a doctor because you can’t speak the language and no one seems to know yours. Take basic first aid stuff with you as well as enough prescription medications for your stay.
- You cannot take a bottle of water onto most airplanes. In carry-on luggage, you can only take one tiny enough to hold 100mls, plastic and resealable into a special plastic bag available at the airport. This allows you to take asthma medication or nasal sprays. However, bigger things can be stored in the luggage.
- Make sure you have your name on your luggage. Use the luggage tags that came with your luggage for extra strength so it won’t get ripped off accidentally.
- Watch your weight. Airlines have special restrictions on weight of luggage and if yours is heavier you’ll be charged extra or forced to unload some.
- Leave some room in your bag to bring home things you purchased on holidays.
- Limit the shoes. Make sure you take thongs, sandals and comfortable walking shoes.
- Place basic cosmetics into a Ziploc bag so they don’t spill or leak.
- Many people think that rolling clothes up is the best way to pack them, but not everyone agrees. You can only try it and see if it prevents wrinkles.
- Keep all valuables in your carry-on luggage or leaving them at home.
- It is highly likely that you will need adaptors for your electronics. Airport prices are sky-high so buy before you go.
- Pack only basic clothes not statement pieces that you may find no use for. Find out the likely temperatures of your destination before you go and pack clothes to suit it.
- Pack one set of underwear and a clean top in your hand luggage just in case the rest goes missing.
- Leave sharp objects such as scissors and nail files at home as they are not allowed on the airplane.
- Expect to have to remove shoes, belts and jacket at the airport for security reasons. You’ll probably have to show your laptop too.